Are you looking for an easy way to connect your non-wireless network device to a wireless network without the hassles of running cables and drilling holes on the wall? In this brief post, I will share with you easy and hassle-free steps to convert your non-wireless network device to a wireless one and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Most people know how to add a wireless USB adapter or PCI to a PC or laptop to make it wireless adaptable, that’s not what I’m discussing. I’m talking about converting your CCTV DVR or NVR, Game console, Smart TV or Access control device from a wired device to a wireless device.
This method works for CCTV DVR or NVR, game console, Smart TV, Network access control devices, and some other devices I cannot think of now.
What Wireless Adapter Do You Need?
To convert your non-wireless device into a wireless device and connect to a Wi-Fi network you need a Wi-Fi adapter. Because many network devices (except PCs) are not compatible with USB or PCI Wi-Fi adapter due to form and driver issues, your most convenient option for a wireless adapter is a client access point.
TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point TL-WA801ND does this conversion easily for me. TL-WA801ND has a wider-range home Wi-Fi signal discovery and it is affordable. Other Wi-Fi adapter with the same function and on the same category include the smaller TL-WA850RE. They both can be configured to achieve the same result.
You may want to read: How to Set up a Home or Small Office WiFi Network
The Process of Converting to Wireless
- Plug your new TP-Link access point to a power source near your non-wireless network device, power it on and wait until the wireless LEDs are lit and stable.
- Join the Wi-Fi network of the new access point from a PC, Tab or mobile phone using the default SSID and password printed on the label of the access point.
- Launch a browser from your PC or Tab and enter http://tplinkap.net. Then log in using admin for both username and password.
- Click Quick Setup, select Client mode and click Next. This makes the access point to become a Wi-Fi adapter. Follow the step-by-step instructions to complete the configuration. (You would be asked to connect your Wi-Fi adapter to the Wi-Fi router. Ensure the TP-Link adapter is within the router Wi-Fi range.)
- Now, connect a network cable to the Wi-Fi adapter and to your device network port.
- Configure your device to obtain an IP address automatically or enter a static IP address compatible with your network.
- Finish the configuration on your device.
Now you have a clean and easy wireless connection of your network device.
Leave a comment if you have a question.